Friday, November 17, 2017

City Silo Table & Pantry

City Silo Table & Pantry
5101 Sanderlin Center
901.729.7687


I have been a fan of City Silo since they opened in January. I was invited to the sneak peek and got to taste all of the things. The food is healthy, fresh, and delicious. Just about everything starts off vegan, and then you can add cheese or chicken if you like. I recently picked City Silo as Thrillist's Best New Restaurant of 2017, so head over there if you wanna know the back story.

I have tried to take the monkeys (Satchel, 15 and Jiro, 13) on numerous occasions, but there's one problem. City Silo is next door to the Sear Shack, which they LOVE. This makes it pretty much impossible to get them to opt for healthy food. (Though as far as burgers go, Sear Shack is on the healthier side than say, McDonald's.)

A few weeks ago, Jiro asked me to take him shopping for a few things. I obliged, and then I asked him to let me pick the lunch spot.

Untitled

He was hesitant, but I helped him find something that sounded good as we waited in line to order. "What does kale taste like?" he asked. I can't remember what I said, but whatever it was convinced him it would be safe to order the Kale Caesar with chicken. And, of course, he wanted a smoothie. He got the Cosmic Coconut with banana, pineapple and various forms of coconut. I got what I always get--the buffalo tempeh and sesame cauliflower hearty bowl with quinoa, a fried egg, and sometimes avocado. And because we were having a big day, I also got a kombucha cocktail (Meet the Beet -- beet, lemon, ginger and local komucha).

I'm not gonna lie. It's not super cheap to eat here, especially if you add on smoothies or juices. Our total was $42. But! I don't care.

We took a number, took a seat and our drinks and food arrived shortly after.

"This looks good," Jiro said.

Untitled

And then he ate every bite.

Untitled

I got my super picky 13 year old to eat kale! I was pretty damn excited.

Untitled

Mine was delicious like always, and despite my best efforts could not finish it, as the "hearty" part of the description is very true.

Untitled

And the kombucha cocktail was right on.

Untitled

We both left happy, and we felt great instead of bloated and full.

And then guess what happened? A couple of weeks later, we were running around and I said, "Hey wanna go eat at City Silo again?" and he said, "YES!" So we did.

On our second visit, I encouraged him to try some new things. He went a little crazy and ordered a yogurt bowl, two eggs and a smoothie.

Untitled

Untitled

I got what I always get (duh). But I mixed it up with a new coffee smoothie.

Untitled

I tried really hard to get Jiro to taste my tempeh, but he refused. (They have a breakfast sandwich with tempeh that is very popular--The McSilo--that I know he would like. Next time!)

Again, we left feeling great.

I love this place.

I want one closer to midtown or downtown so I can go every day.

Check it out and don't be scared to take the kids!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...